This text is about ENERGY STAR CERTIFIED HOMES. Additionally, we examine Energy Star requirements to present DFW houses, and talk about methods to make your current house notably extra power efficient.
Al’s Plumbing, Heating & A/C, in Plano, Texas supplies full service plumbing upkeep, repairs and replacements for each plumbing element in your house. Al’s sells and installs Rheem Professional Collection fuel & electrical water heaters, and tankless water heaters. Al’s Plumbing, Heating & A/C is near your own home in Plano, Allen, and Frisco. We service all houses in southern Collin and Denton Counties with no further travel cost.
Al’s also supplies maintenance & repairs for all manufacturers of Central A/C, Fuel & Electric Furnace, and Heat Pumps. Moreover, we promote and set up new HVAC Techniques from American Normal (similar company as Trane), Ameristar (similar firm as American Normal) and Coleman HVAC (similar firm as York HVAC).
- 0.1 DID YOU KNOW
- 0.2 A New Central A/C Can Be As Much As Much As four Occasions Extra Efficient Than Your Present A/C!
- 0.3 If You Have Electrical Heat — You Can Lower Heating Bills By 1/Three Or More With A Warmth Pump!
- 1 Energy Star Homes
- 1.1 House Energy Score System (HERS)
- 1.2 Energy Star Program Provides Outstanding Efficiency Awards To House Builders
- 1.3 With The Most Efficient Homes.
- 1.4 Necessities For Energy Star Homes
- 1.5 In DFW (Climate Zone Three)
- 1.6 Energy Star HVAC SYSTEM Requirements For Climate Zone Three (Consists of DFW)
- 1.7 One New Residence Design Has Ductwork Situated Between
- 1.8 The Rooms’ Ceilings & The Attic Flooring (with attic insulation above).
- 1.9 In A Typical DFW House, The Ceilings Are Also The Attic’s Flooring.
- 1.10 Why Attic Insulation Is So Essential In Your Present Residence.
- 1.11 This Is Why It’s Essential To Insulate & Seal Air Leaks In Your Present House.
- 1.12 ENERGY STAR HOMES WINDOWS
- 1.13 Should You Exchange Or Upgrade Your Present Home windows?
- 1.14 APPLIANCES
- 1.15 ENERGY STAR HOMES LIGHTING
DID YOU KNOW
A New Central A/C Can Be As Much As Much As four Occasions Extra Efficient Than Your Present A/C!
As we speak’s Excessive-Efficiency Central A/C Have SEER (Seasonal Energy Effectivity Ratio) As Excessive As SEER-26. That’s Over 4 Occasions More Efficient Than A Central A/C Manufactured Earlier than 1980 (SEER-6 or lower).
If You Have Electrical Heat — You Can Lower Heating Bills By 1/Three Or More With A Warmth Pump!
Install A New Heat Pump & You Additionally Have A New Central A/C! Warmth Pumps Are A/C’s That Run In Reverse When Heating.
Call Al’s at the moment to debate any considerations or issues you’ve together with your HVAC System or Plumbing. We’ll organize an appointment at your comfort and supply 24/7 Emergency Service.
Image Source: Pixabay.com
Energy Star Homes
Energy Star Licensed Homes are designed and built to maintain power bills low. This is accomplished with a mixture of; insulation, air-leakage management, high effectivity home windows & exterior doorways, larger effectivity HVAC Sytem & appliances plus other power saving measures.
New Energy Star Licensed houses use as much as 30% less power than a typical new house. Energy Star Licensed houses bear a strategy of inspections, testing, and verification to ensure they meet strict requirements set by the EPA.
To earn the ENERGY STAR House Certification, the home have to be meet certification necessities based mostly on Regional Specs. The minimum standards for power efficiency develop into extra greater for every area farther north within the U.S.
House Energy Score System (HERS)
A part of the Energy Star Certified Residence requirements is obtaining its HERS Rating. HERS stands for House Energy Score System.
The HERS Rating compares the precise HERS Licensed residence to a similarly-sized house constructed to as we speak’s Constructing Codes. The HERS Index calculates a house’s power efficiency. The lower the HERS score is, the higher the home’s energy-efficiency is.
Working with a Licensed House Energy Score System (HERS) Residence Energy Rater, Residence Builders select the power efficiency measures for the home. Totally different houses, or houses in several areas of the U.S., may have totally different power efficiency measures.
Example: In southern states, most new houses have a Radiant-Warmth Barrier in the attic. This may not be added in the northern U.S.
Then the chosen residence’s proposed Energy-Saving Features are entered into a RESNET Residence Energy Score Software. The ensuing HERS Score is verified as meets or exceeds the HERS Index Goal. As soon as the home is completed, it’s tested to ensure it meets or exceeds its HERS target score.
To get a HERS score, the completed home have to be examined & verified by a licensed RESNET Residence Energy Rater. The process is in depth and costs $1,500 — $3,000. Energy-saving enhancements leading to a great HERS score will lower the house’a power bill and add to the house’s worth.
Click Right here To See A Comparison Of Heating / Costs For Numerous HERS Scores: Heating / Cooling Prices For Numerous HERS Scores
Click Here To See An Example Of A HERS Label Used By A House Builder: HERS Label Used By A Residence Builder
The U.S. Division Of Energy (DOE) Has Determined:
- A typical used house has a 130 HERS Rating. The older the home, the lower its HERS score can be.
- A typical newly constructed house has a 100 HERS Rating.
- A HERS Rating = 70 is 30% more environment friendly than a normal newly constructed residence.
- A HERS Score = 130 is 30% less efficient than a regular new built house.
- A house with a HERS Score of 0 is a Internet-Zero Energy Residence. Internet-zero means the all-electric residence delivers as much electrical energy TO the Energy-Grid (via renewable assets resembling photo voltaic panels), as it takes FROM the grid over the course of 1 yr.
Energy Star Program Provides Outstanding Efficiency Awards To House Builders
With The Most Efficient Homes.
For House Builders who have operations in several markets, the awards are given to the individual market. A market is one space, corresponding to DFW.
2018 Quantity Of Awards 2018 # Markets Ranked By # Homes Bought in 2018
- Okay & B Homes acquired 20 awards 25 Markets. 6 with 10,909 houses built
- Beazer Homes acquired 15 awards. 21 Markets. 13 with 5,525 houses
- Meritage Homes acquired 11 awards. 21 Markets. Eight with 7,709 houses.
- Pulte Homes acquired 2 awards. 49 Markets. Three with 21,052 houses
- DR Horton Homes acquired 1 award. 84 Markets. 1 with 47,135 houses
- Lennar Homes acquired 0 awards. 49 Markets. 2 with 29,394 houses
Copy The Hyperlink Under To See All 2018 Outstanding Efficiency House Builders:
Image Source: Pixabay
Necessities For Energy Star Homes
In DFW (Climate Zone Three)
Copy The Link Under To See The Official Energy Star Certified Checklist From The U.S. Division Of Energy (DOE).
Click Right here To See The Blue Label An Energy Star Qualified Residence Has: Label For Energy Star Certified Residence
Word 1: The Energy Star Licensed Residence Necessities Shown Under Can Assist You As To How To Upgrade Your Present Residence To Maximize Its Energy Effectivity.
Observe 2: Older houses can’t not be upgraded to be as as air-tight as new Energy Star Certified houses. To ensure that the home to be that air-tight, it will have had to be constructed a lot in a different way than houses have been built up to now.
- The U.S. EPA states that air-sealing an present house may end up in up to a 15% reduction in cooling & heat prices. Precise financial savings is dependent upon the age of the house.
- The EPA states that including insulation may end up in up to a 10% reduction in cooling & heating costs. Actual financial savings will depend on the house’s age & present insulation.
Notice 3: With a Blower-Door Check, you’ll be able to decide the place your property is leaking air. Sealing those leaks will end in a notable decrease in how much air the house leaks, and scale back cooling & heating prices.
Energy Star HVAC SYSTEM Requirements For Climate Zone Three (Consists of DFW)
Energy Star Certification allows the House Builder the pliability to pick which Energy-Saving measures are used in every house. The entire of the Energy-Saving measures for any particular person house should meet Energy Star necessities. Within the southern U.S. the home might have a better efficiency A/C (SEER-14.5) than required by Building Code (SEER-14) Within the northern U.S., a home might have a better effectivity furnace (92-96%) than required by Building Code (90%).
Click on Here To See The U.S. Map Of Climate Zones: Climate Zone Map For U.S.
- SEER-14.5 Central A/C. SEER-14 is minimum efficiency a newly put in A/C in DFW.
- 80% Efficient Fuel Furnace — this can be a Normal-Effectivity Furnace. Excessive-Efficiency furnaces are 90% — 96% efficient.
- The EPA states that attic ductwork accounts for 25% of misplaced heated / cooled air. **
- A notable portion of heated / cooled air is misplaced as a result of leaking ductwork within the attic.
- Energy Star Certification permits ductwork to be situated in the attic in Climate Zone 3 (consists of DFW).
- Energy Star requires attic ductwork to have at the least R-8 insulation. This is identical as Texas Constructing Code.
One New Residence Design Has Ductwork Situated Between
The Rooms’ Ceilings & The Attic Flooring (with attic insulation above).
Copy This Link To See A Photograph Of A Residence Beneath Development Being Constructed This Approach: https://www.probuilder.com/lessons-learned-bringing-ducts-inside
In A Typical DFW House, The Ceilings Are Also The Attic’s Flooring.
Click on Under To See A Thermal Picture Of A Ceiling Displaying Have been Insulation Is Missing Or Not Enough:
Ceiling Thermal Image Exhibits Missing / Insufficient Attic Insulation
The thermal image was taken during summer time. Yellow is the place the ceiling is hottest. Dark Purple is the place the ceiling is coolest.
Throughout summer time in DFW, attic temperatures can attain 170 degrees. If there are areas of missing insulation, only the ceiling drywall is between the attic and dwelling area which is as much as -100 levels cooler.
Why Attic Insulation Is So Essential In Your Present Residence.
As we speak’s constructing code requires R-38 insulation worth for the attic. A DFW residence built in the 1950’s was not required to have any attic insulation. A DFW residence inbuilt 1970’s required solely R-19 attic insulation. Moreover, blown insulation settles over time, plus it’s widespread for staff to kick insulation out of their approach while in the attic.
The EPA states that satisfactory attic insulation will decrease cooling & heating bills by as much as 10%. The financial savings can pay for the insulation over time. Additionally, your HVAC System will even last longer as a result of it doesn’t have to run as much. Additionally, you will be more snug, with fewer scorching / chilly spots in your home.
Present New House Building Codes In Texas
- Most older DFW houses have ductwork (and lots of have the furnace) of their attic.
- The 2018 Worldwide Energy Conservation Code (IECC) permits both the furnace & ductwork to be in the attic. ***
- Texas Building Code is predicated upon the 2018 IECC.
- Provide-Air ducts in attics have to be insulated to a minimal of R-8 (similar as Energy Star). ***
** Supply: https://www.energycodes.gov/sites/default/files/documents/cn_ducts_in_conditioned_spaces.pdf
*** Supply: https://www.probuilder.com/lessons-learned-bringing-ducts-inside
- Energy Star House Fuel 50-Gallon Water Heater: 0.59 EF. EF stands for Energy Issue.
- Energy Star House Electrical 50-Gallon Water Heater: 0.92 EF.
- These are normal effectivity water heaters.
* Source: http://hes-documentation.lbl.gov/calculation-methodology/calculation-of-energy-consumption/water-heater-energy-consumption/water-heater-energy-factor
AIR LEAKAGE & VENTILATION
SHOWN: Blower Door Testing Gear
- Energy Star Homes should have Complete Air Sealing.
- The check for air leakage is known as the “Blower-Door Test” — which refers to the gear used to check the house.
- Energy Star Homes in CZ-3 Must Have No Extra Than 5 Air Modifications Per Hour (ACH) during a Blower Door Check.
- A DFW house built in the course of the 1970’s ranges from 17 — 50 Air Modifications Per Hour (ACH) throughout a Blower-Door Check. *Three
- A home can’t be utterly air-tight. This may trigger pollutants & humidity to construct up, resulting in unacceptable Indoor Air-High quality.
- If a home is just too air-tight, mechanical ventilation is required to make sure sufficient ventilation for acceptable Indoor Air-High quality.
This Is Why It’s Essential To Insulate & Seal Air Leaks In Your Present House.
The EPA States:
- Sealing air leaks will scale back cooling & heating bills by as a lot as 15%.
- Sufficient Insulation (R-38 in attic in DFW) will scale back cooling & heating payments by as a lot as 10%.
- These two measures can how an present DFW residence’s power consumption by up to 25%. The older the home, the upper your financial savings might be.
DFW Insulation Constructing Codes Over The Years
As we speak:
- R-38 within the attic
- R-15 in the partitions
- R-19 in the floors
- Blown attic insulation settles over time. More could also be needed to make sure enough insulating worth.
- Staff typically kick attic insulation out of their method while working within the attic. Examine your attic to see if this has occurred.
Attic Insulation Wall Insulation
- 1950’s: None None
- 1965-70: R-13 R-6
- 1970’s: R-19 R-6 *3
- 1980’s: R-30 R-13 *four
- 2014: R-38 R-15 *5
*Three Source: https://snuggpro.com/blog/item/many-homes-built-prior-to-1980-were-built-without-insulation-in-the-walls
*four Supply: https://www.jlconline.com/how-to/insulation-code-change_o
*5 As required by the 2012 Version of the International Building Code (IBC)
ENERGY STAR HOMES WINDOWS
- Energy Star Residence Window U-Worth: Zero.30 in CZ Three. U-Worth represents how much warmth exits the home by way of the window (glass + frame). **
- This implies Energy Star house’s home windows can’t permit greater than about 30% heat-loss through the winter.
- Window SHGC: Zero.25 in CZ Three SHGC signifies how a lot of the solar’s heat hanging the window enters the house. **
- This means Energy Star house’s windows can’t permit more than 25% of the sun’s warmth to enter the house by means of the home windows.
- Changing U-Worth + SHGC-Value TO R-Value, an Energy Star window is roughly R-3. **
- For older present houses, the EPA states:
- 10%–15% of a house’s complete power loss is through its windows.
- 30% of a house’s complete heat is lost by means of home windows during winter.
- 75%+ of of the solar’s heat enters the house via the home windows during summer time.
A Typical 1970’s DFW House:
- Has single-pane glass & aluminum-frame home windows.
- U-Value = 1.1 This means the windows permit almost 90% heat-loss during winter.
- SHGC =.71 This means the home windows permit 71% of the sun’s heat into the house via the home windows during summer time.
- A 1970’s DFW residence’s widespread windows have a R-Value of <1 (R-Zero.9). Word: R-Zero can be a hole within the wall.
- This comparison doesn’t think about older windows that leak air resulting from worn out weatherstripping.
* Source: https://www.architectmagazine.com/technology/products/the-latest-highly-insulating-windows-are-almost-as-efficient-as-a-wall_o
** Supply: https://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/archive/2001standards/residential_manual/res_manual_form_s.PDF
*** Source: https://www.greenbuildermedia.com/buildingscience/window-film-a-cost-effective-window-retrofit
**** Source: https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/energy-efficient-window-attachments
Should You Exchange Or Upgrade Your Present Home windows?
- Changing home windows may have less effect on cooling & heating bills than growing attic insulation or sealing air leaks.
- There are modestly priced Energy Star Rated, Low-E, Windows Obtainable From Window World Of Dallas for $265.00 each.
- This worth consists of set up & full measurement screens.
Word: This is not an endorsement for Window World only because we don’t have information of all alternative window choices.
Upgrades To Present Windows:
- Adding Solar-Film to present single pane glass home windows (that face south or west) can scale back the sun’s warmth achieve from 71% to as little as 45%. ***
- This may be a 2/Three reduction in warmth achieve by way of the glass. The warmth achieve by way of the metallic frame remains the identical.
- Solar film blocks the quantity of light coming via the glass. If there’s a 2/3 reduction in heat achieve, there’s a 2/3 reduction in mild coming via.
- That is why north and east dealing with home windows will not be ultimate for solar movie.
To scale back heat achieve by means of each the glass + body, full measurement solar-screens can be found (as an alternative of solar film on solely the glass).
- One web site (*5) gives screens that scale back heat achieve by means of the windows by; 65%, 80%, 90% & 95%.
- The complete-size display additionally minimizes warmth achieve or loss by way of the metallic body.
- The extra sun is blocked, the extra the display darkens the room:
- The 65% Solar Display states it’s 32% open. So it’s blocking 2/3 of the light.
- The 95% Photo voltaic Display states it’s 5% open. It’s blocking 95% of the light.
Notice: This isn’t an endorsement for Metro Display Works solely as a result of we don’t have information of all alternative window choices.
*5 Source: https://www.metroscreenworks.com/solar-screens-for-windows/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrdjnBRDXARIsAEcE5Ym5UAQSBr5f3E4RiOOVm8EQxO2pmkE4nlARNDwASJOQ9pjQjebOR5UaAtaOEALw_wcB
- Energy Star rated refrigerator required. An Energy star model will save $6.00 per yr as compared to a new, non-certified mannequin.
- Energy Star rated dishwasher required. An Energy Star model with save $35.00 per yr as compared to a new, non-certified mannequin.
- Energy Star rated ceiling fans required.
Click Right here For An Article About Energy Star Products For Homes: AlsPlumbing Energy Star Merchandise For Homes
ENERGY STAR HOMES LIGHTING
- Energy Star LED mild bulbs (85% effectivity) are required:
Proven: Incandescent, Fluorescent & LED Mild Bulb
Image Source: ShutterStock
Does It Really Make Much Difference Which Sort Of Mild Bulbs You Use?
YES. The small print are under, with the Complete Value shown for 25,000 hours.
NOTE: The electrical energy value proven under is for less than the light bub(s). Add to that the cost of having A/C take away the heat created by the sunshine bulbs.
- Incandescent Bulbs convert 10% of the electricity into mild. 10% is transformed to mild. 90% is converted to heat. That warmth have to be eliminated by the A/C.
- 60 watts of sunshine requires a 60-watt bulb.
- $150.00 to energy the 60-watt incandescent bulb for 25,000 hours (at 10 cents per kWh).
- Incandescent bulbs final around 1,200 hours.
- 21 incandescent bulbs might be used to offer 25,000 hours of service.
- $21.00 for 21 bulbs to offer 25,000 hours (@ $1.00 per bulb).
- $171.00 Complete Value for electrical energy + 21 incandescent bulbs = $197 Complete Value for 25,000 hours.
- Compact Fluorescent (CFL) bulbs create heat from 80% of electrical energy consumed. 20% is converted to mild. 80% is transformed to heat.
- 60 watts of sunshine requires a 14-watt CFL bulb.
- Compact Fluorescent (CFL) bulbs use 25-35% less electricity than incandescent bulbs.
- $35.00 to energy the 60-watt (equivalent) CFL bulb for 25,000 hours (at 10 cents per kWh).
- These bulbs last around 10,000 hours.
- 2.5 CFL bulbs needed to offer 25,000 hours of service.
- $5.00 for two.5 bulbs to offer 25,000 hours (@ $2.50 per bulb)
- $40.00 Complete Value for electrical energy + 2.5 CFL bulbs = $40.00 Complete Value for 25,000 hours.
- LED bulbs create warmth from 15% of the electricity consumed. 85% is converted to mild. 15% is transformed to heat.
- 60 watts of sunshine requires an 8.5-watt LED bulb.
- LED bulbs use round 85% much less electricity than incandescent bulbs.
- $21.25 to power the 60-watt (equal) LED bulb for 25,000 hours (at 10 cents per kWh).
- These bulbs final round 25,000 hours.
- 1 LED bulb wanted to offered 25,000 hours of service.
- $5.00 for 1 bulbs to offer 25,000 hours (@ $5.00 per bulb).
- $26.00 Complete Value for electricity + 1 LED bulb = $ 31.00 Complete Value for 25,000 hours.
Whereas the price for LED bulbs is larger at first, they save 3/four of the electricity that might be used by incandescent bulbs. Because LED bulbs last far longer, the fee for the bulbs turns into a lot decrease over time.
Notice: Immediately, LED bulbs are notably inexpensive than what’s proven on this comparison. WalMart sells a 4 Bulb Package deal Of 60-watt LED bulbs for $5.98 ($1.50 each).
Al’s Plumbing, Heating & A/C, in Plano, Texas offers full service plumbing maintenance, repairs and replacements for every plumbing element in your house. Al’s sells and installs Rheem Professional Collection fuel & electrical water heaters, and tankless water heaters. Al’s Plumbing, Heating & A/C is near your own home in Wylie, Murphy, and Rowlette, TX. We service all houses in southern Collin & Denton Counties with no further journey charge.
Al’s additionally supplies upkeep & repairs for all manufacturers of Central A/C, Fuel & Electrical Furnace, and Warmth Pumps. Moreover, we promote and install new HVAC Techniques from American Normal (similar firm as Trane), Ameristar (similar firm as American Normal) and Coleman HVAC (similar firm as York HVAC).
Name Al’s as we speak to debate any considerations or problems you’ve gotten together with your HVAC System or Plumbing. We’ll organize an appointment at your convenience and supply 24/7 Emergency Service.
The publish Energy Star Homes appeared first on Al's Plumbing, Heating & Air Conditioning.